With all the technology available to us nowadays, it is easy to underestimate the importance of some of the most important trade skills around, such as locksmithing. With that said, many locksmiths in E14 and other areas in London still find ways to innovate and improve their services. Today, a locksmith in Canary Wharf and beyond has access to state-of-the-art equipment and technologies to provide clients with better, safer locks.
In this blog post, we will take a look at what lies ahead for locksmithing in the age of electronic locks, what it means for homes, offices, and buildings.
Locksmithing is an approximately 4,000-year-old profession with the earliest known locks dating as far back as 700 B.C. from the Assyrian Empire. In these ancient times, wooden keys were used to large pins in the lock. With the advent of the Industrial Revolution and the introduction of forging, metal locks were birthed. And thus, any locksmith company at the time was elevated to higher importance.
Additionally, as the methods in metalworking developed, they also began to make “unpickable” locks and innovations that improved the security of the locks they sold.
It is an understatement to say that a lot has changed since then. Naturally, a locksmith in Canary Wharf and other areas needed to keep up with the times.
Today, different types of courses and training were developed to help address the new lock and key problems that could. Aside from cutting and issuing new keys, installing and repairing locks, maintaining the locks in a building, implementing a master key system, and using different tools for a variety of jobs, locksmiths have also started adopting new technologies into their trade.
Many modern locksmith companies today are trained to install and troubleshoot both mechanical and electronic access devices. This also means they can manually override any electronic lock. Their services have also expanded to being general security consultants and even provide 24-hour emergency services.
What’s in Store for the Future?
While the demand for locksmiths has dipped a little in the past decade, it is now on a steady rise as the industry has evolved to create state-of-the-art locks which mix electronic and mechanical components. This allows for more complex mechanisms that cannot be easily opened by intruders. At the same time, these locks can be fixed without breaking in case a problem arises.
It is natural for any homeowner to be sceptical of such services that deal with securing their homes. This is why governing bodies have created licensing and certifications to help put the minds of the public at ease. These certifications provide assurance that the locksmiths you’ll work with are properly trained and vetted for the job.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does a locksmith do?
A locksmith in E14 from The London Locksmiths can install, repair, and adjust locks found on doors, windows, safes, and more. In addition, they can also install security grilles, alarms, and CCTV systems in your property. In the event that you get locked out unexpectedly, we also offer emergency services, 24/7.
How long does it take a locksmith to unlock a door?
The time it takes depends on the particular situation at hand, such as the type of lock that needs to be dealt with. It can be as fast as a few seconds, or it could take almost an hour. In general, you can expect locksmiths to successfully unlock the vast majority of locks in around 10 minutes.
Can a locksmith make a key from a lock?
Yes. Apart from making a new key to code, locksmiths can also impression the lock or disassemble the lock cylinder itself to get the exact dimensions of the internal components.
Just remember this process may not be possible with certain types of locks. Regardless, you can rest assured that our locksmiths can provide you with the best solution.
What skills should you look for in a locksmith?
Before hiring a locksmith, there are various skills that you need to consider. These include good mechanical reasoning, reliable mechanical aptitude, and manual dexterity. By checking off these boxes, you can be sure that you’ve hired the right people. If you’re working with a certified locksmith, you can rest assured that they’re right for the job.
When You Might Need To Hire A Locksmith
Here are some situations in which you may need the help of lock experts in E14:
- You need new locks. You may need a new lock because you’ve lost your keys or want a more secured one. The installing requires professional help, so this is the right time to call a locksmith.
- You’ve locked yourself out. Whether it’s day or night, lockout issues can happen. Luckily, you can call a locksmith any time of the day to help you out.
- To improve your locking system. If you have experienced break-ins in the past, you may not feel safe and secure inside your home. Our lock specialists in E14 can assist you in improving your security so that it doesn’t happen again.
- Maintenance of security equipment. If you have invested a lot in your security equipment, you’d surely want them to stand the test of time. With regular maintenance done by a professional locksmith, you can rest assured that your locks, alarms, and CCTV systems will continue to function correctly for many years to come.
Things A Locksmith Can Do For You
Below is a list of things that professional locksmiths can help you with:
- Repairs. Locks that have suffered wear and tear over time may need to be repaired to work as they should again. Search for a reliable provider of lock repair services in E14 for the best results.
- Security installation. Locksmiths can install a vast array of security systems for your home, including CCTVs, alarm systems, secure access systems, and so on.
- Fitting new locks. Trusted locksmiths can offer top-quality locks that cannot be picked or broken easily, making your property much more secure.
If you find yourself searching for a “locksmith near me”, then look no further than The London Locksmiths. From door and window installation to advanced security systems, we have it all for you!